United States District Court, E.D. Pennsylvania
Both defendants in this case, Lynda Hang Vang and Joseph Carl Lucas, have filed motions seeking suppression of evidence uncovered through a search of Lucas’s apartment, where they both lived, on December 5, 2012. Based on the facts and conclusions set forth below, the Court will deny the motions.
Findings of Fact
1. On August 8, 2012, Officer Keith Stambaugh of the Silver Spring Township Police Department received a complaint from Jesus Quintana. Quintana reported an AK-47 was stolen from his house the day before, and he believed the only person with access was his ex-girlfriend, Shane Sloane, whom he had left at his house alone to get some of her belongings.
2. Quintana also noted that Sloane was involved with a drug dealer named Joe who drove a silver Mustang Cobra.
3. Stambaugh learned the next day that Sloane had been arrested after a witness reported having seen an AK-47 in the trunk of a car belonging to Philip Bell, who shared an apartment with Sloane.
4. Stambaugh at some point learned that Sloane had a criminal record and several aliases and that her mother had kicked her out for stealing. Quintana also noted that he considered Sloane a compulsive liar and a drug user.
5. Stambaugh spoke to Sloane and Bell on August 9, and they initially denied any knowledge of the AK-47.
6. Later that day, however, Sloane contacted Stambaugh and came in for a recorded interview.
7. In that interview, Sloane reported having met Joseph Lucas on sugardaddiesforme.com; she gave Stambaugh the website login information, which he used to pull up the profile, and she identified the photo as Lucas.
8. Sloane noted that Lucas drove or owned a silver Mustang Cobra, a black Acura, and a red and black HHR.
9. She reported that she had gone with Lucas to Room 107 of a Rodeway Inn in the Lancaster area, where he had her snort one of several different drugs he had there (Silver Spring Township, in Cumberland County, is a considerable distance from Akron, which is in Lancaster County and comparatively close to Lancaster city).
10. They then went from the Rodeway Inn to his nearby house, where he showed her some handguns, a knife collection, some synthetic or raspberry marijuana, and a duffel bag with a white narcotic in brick form.
11. Sloane also stated that Lucas’s girlfriend, an Asian woman named Lynda, was at the apartment.
12. After returning to the Rodeway Inn, Sloane mentioned Quintana’s AK-47 to Lucas, which seemed to interest him.
13. Sloane said that when she was at Quintana’s house on August 7, Lucas showed up and made her find and give him the AK-47, ...