September 4, 2013
OFFICE OF DISCIPLINARY COUNSEL, Petitioner.
JOHN KERRINGTON LEWIS, JR., Respondent No. 212 DB 2010
Attorney Registration No. 83722 (Alleglieny County)
AND NOW, this 4th day of September, 2013, upon consideration of the Recommendation of the Three-Member Panel of the Disciplinary Board dated June 26, 2013, the Joint Petition in Support of Discipline on Consent is hereby granted pursuant to Rule 215(g), Pa.R.D.E., and it is.
ORDERED that John Kerrington Lewis, Jr., is suspended on consent from the Bar of this Commonwealth for a period of one year and one day, the suspension is stayed in its entirety and he is placed on probation for a period of two years, subject to the following conditions:
1. Respondent shall abstain from using alcohol or any other mind-altering chemical.
2. Respondent shall attend two AA meetings per week as well as attend a "Lawyers Meeting" twice each month.
3. Respondent shall regularly attend therapy sessions with Robin Witt, or another licensed professional counselor versed in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), at least twice a month or on such shorter intervals as prescribed by Ms. Witt or a successor counselor.
4. Respondent shall authorize Ms. Witt or any successor counselor to make written reports directly to the Secretary of the Board verifying attendance at therapy sessions.
5. A sobriety monitor shall be appointed to monitor Respondent in accordance with Disciplinary Board Rule §89.293(c).
6. Respondent shall furnish his sobriety monitor with his licensed professional counselor's name, address and telephone number and shall authorize Ms. Witt or any successor counselor to communicate with the monitor concerning his treatment.
7. Respondent shall authorize and direct Ms. Witt or any substitute successor counselor to immediately provide a written report of facts and circumstances to the Secretary of the Board at any time when, in the estimation of that counselor, he is in violation of the conditions of his probation or his behavior or material failure to conduct himself in cooperation with any aspect of the prescribed therapy regimen indicates that he is, or may be, in jeopardy of becoming mentally unfit to engage in the practice of law.
8. Respondent shall undergo any additional counseling, out-patient or inpatient, as prescribed by a physician or alcohol counselor.
9. Respondent shall file with the Secretary of the Board quarterly written reports.
10. With the sobriety monitor. Respondent shall:
a. meet at least twice a month;
b. maintain weekly telephone contact;
c. provide the necessary properly executed written authorizations to verify his compliance with the required substance abuse treatment; and d. cooperate fully.
11. The appointed sobriety monitor shall:
a. monitor Respondent's compliance with the terms and conditions of the order imposing probation;
b. assist Respondent in arranging any necessary professional or substance abuse treatment;
c. meet with Respondent at least twice a monthly, and maintain weekly telephone contact with him
d. maintain direct monthly contact with Respondent's licensed professional counselor;
e. file with the Secretary of the Board quarterly written reports; and
f. immediately report to the Secretary of the Board any violations by the Respondent of the terms and conditions of his probation.