August 27, 2010
OFFICE OF DISCIPLINARY COUNSEL, PETITIONER
MICHAEL D. RENTSCHLER, RESPONDENT
(Cumberland County) Nos. 33 and 127 DB 2009.
Attorney Registration No. 45836
AND NOW, this 27th day of August, 2010, upon consideration of the Report and Recommendations of the Disciplinary Board dated June 30, 2010, it is hereby
ORDERED that Michael D. Rentschler is suspended from the practice of law in this Commonwealth for a period of one year and one day, the suspension is stayed in its entirety and he is placed on probation for a period of two years, subject to the following conditions:
1. Respondent shall abstain from using alcohol or any other mind-altering chemical;
2. Respondent shall attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings on a weekly basis;
3. Respondent shall obtain a sponsor in Alcoholics Anonymous and maintain weekly contact with that sponsor;
4. A sobriety monitor shall be appointed to monitor Respondent in accordance with Disciplinary Board Rule §89.293(c);
5. Respondent shall furnish his sobriety monitor with his Alcoholics Anonymous sponsor's name, address and telephone number;
6. Respondent shall establish his weekly attendance at Alcoholics Anonymous meetings by providing written verification to the Board on a Board-approved form;
7. Respondent shall undergo any counseling, out-patient treatment or in-patient treatment, as prescribed by a physician or alcohol counselor;
8. Respondent shall file with the Secretary of the Board quarterly written reports;
9. With the sobriety monitor, Respondent shall:
a) meet at least twice a month;
b) maintain weekly telephone contact;
c) provide the necessary properly executed written authorizations to verify his compliance with the required substance abuse treatment; and
d) cooperate fully.
10. The appointed sobriety monitor shall:
a) monitor Respondent's compliance with the terms and conditions of the order imposing probation;
b) assist Respondent in arranging any necessary professional or substance abuse treatment;
c) meet with Respondent at least twice a month and maintain weekly telephone contact with him;
d) maintain direct monthly contact with the Alcoholics Anonymous chapter attended by Respondent;
e) file with the Secretary of the Board quarterly written reports; and
f) immediately report to the Secretary of the Board any violations by Respondent of the terms and conditions of the probation.
11. Respondent shall take a time management course during the first year of his probation and submit proof of completion of the course to the Secretary of the Board within ten days thereafter.
12. Respondent shall not commit any violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct in this or any other jurisdiction where he is admitted to practice, shall not commit any criminal violations and shall submit quarterly sworn certifications to the Board that he is in compliance with this condition.
It is further ORDERED that Respondent shall pay costs to the Disciplinary Board pursuant to Rule 208(g), Pa.R.D.E.
© 1992-2010 VersusLaw Inc.