The opinion of the court was delivered by: SHAPIRO
1. Defendant Northern Shipping Company ("Northern") operates a stevedoring and terminal service at 7777 State Road in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and employs in excess of 75 employees.
2. Northern operates a maintenance department at its facility. Maintenance work is primarily performed in the Company's machine shop and in the Company's warehouse. Peter Bushman ("Bushman") has been the maintenance foreman since January 3, 1975.
3. The employees who work in Northern's maintenance department are classified as maintenance helpers, second class mechanics, first class mechanics, electricians and painters.
4. Plaintiff Ronnie Easley is a black male employed by Northern as a first class mechanic.
5. Plaintiff was first employed by Northern on April 19, 1977 as a forklift operator and was assigned to the warehouse.
6. During plaintiff's employment in the warehouse, he was neither issued any warnings nor subjected to any disciplinary actions.
7. Plaintiff began working in Northern's maintenance department on August 28, 1978 and was assigned to the machine shop upon the recommendation of the defendant's President, Jack Rose. Plaintiff was classified as a maintenance helper.
8. Plaintiff was promoted to the position of second class mechanic by defendant on September 25, 1978.
9. Plaintiff was promoted to the position of first class mechanic by defendant on December 13, 1978.
10. Throughout his employment in the machine shop, plaintiff was supervised by Bushman, a white male.
11. Since December, 1978, the Company has regularly employed four first class mechanics, including plaintiff. The other first class mechanics have been Louis ...