Appeal from the Order of the Court of Common Pleas of Susquehanna County in case of Donald R. Ransom and Carolyn E. Ransom, his wife v. Clifford Township, No. 133 January Term, 1976.
Ulric J. McHale, for appellant.
Raymond C. Davis, for appellees.
Judges Mencer, Rogers and Craig, sitting as a panel of three. Opinion by Judge Craig.
[ 41 Pa. Commw. Page 212]
Clifford Township (township) appeals the order of the Court of Common Pleas of Susquehanna County (lower court) entering in favor of Plaintiffs Donald R. Ransom and his wife, Carolyn E. Ransom, peremptory judgment*fn1 directing the supervisors of Clifford Township to keep State Highway No. 174-1 in repair and reasonably free from all obstructions. We affirm the decision, but modify the order.
By deed dated March 18, 1974, the Ransoms purchased a tract of land in Clifford Township, a second class township, bordering on a road which formerly was part of Pennsylvania State Highway Route No. 174-1. That former portion was abandoned by letter dated January 11, 1928, and signed by James L. Stuart, then Secretary of the Department of Highways (Department). The abandonment came about when the Department, while reconstructing the highway, found it expedient to divert the course of the highway "from a point at station 525 to a point at station 531, a distance of approximately 610 feet or .116 miles . . . ," as stated in the Department's letter. The reconstructed highway was relocated just west of the abandoned portion in question here. It is apparent from the record, and there appears to be no real dispute among the parties, that the abandoned
[ 41 Pa. Commw. Page 213]
portion of the highway has not been used for public travel for a considerable length of time.*fn2
Neither the Ransoms nor the township have raised the question of the validity of the Department's highway relocation so as to abandon the portion of the highway in question here; the briefs seem to accept the validity of the Department's action. Nor did the township raise any objection to the implicit conclusion by the lower court that the duty of maintenance of the portion of highway in question here reverted to the township upon abandonment by the Department.*fn3 It is axiomatic that we will not pass upon issues which were not raised or considered below. Snyder v. Department of Highways, 19 Pa. Commonwealth Ct. 96, 338 A.2d 764 (1975).
The only issue actively raised in this case is whether the township, after 1928, ever vacated the road portion in question so as to divest itself of the
[ 41 Pa. Commw. Page 214]
maintenance responsibility*fn4 and, particularly, whether it should be deemed to be vacated because it has not been maintained by the township ...