The opinion of the court was delivered by: LORD, JR.
JOHN W. LORD, Jr., District Judge.
The present cross motions relate to an award of arbitrator dated April 21, 1966 against Regan Construction Co., Inc. ("Regan") and Acme Missiles and Construction Corporation ("Acme") and in favor of CompuDyne Corporation ("CompuDyne") in the amount of $147,651.28. CompuDyne (noted in the above caption as Debtor) has moved to confirm the award, and Regan and Acme have moved to set it aside.
The arbitration was held pursuant to a Stipulation entered into by the parties and approved by this Court on July 18, 1963. Paragraph 9 of the Stipulation is set out in the Findings of Fact which follow. As will be seen, it related to unreimbursed expenses, and provided that if the parties were unable to agree, the matter should be submitted to arbitration in a certain specified way.
It has not been asserted that the reference to arbitration was unauthorized or otherwise improper. The reasons which Regan and Acme assign in support of their motion to set aside the award may be summarized as follows:
The arbitrator refused to hear material and relevant evidence on two subjects: (1) the determination of costs on a prior joint venture, and (2) the alleged admissions of one Tecosky. As a result, it is alleged the arbitrator failed to give Regan and Acme a full and fair hearing. Thus they were denied due process - it is argued - and the arbitrator was guilty of misconduct in the sense to which that term applies to the conduct of arbitration hearings.
The circumstances and details of the foregoing contentions will be developed hereafter. Meanwhile, in lieu of further preliminaries, the following matters and things will be stated as
1. CompuDyne Corporation ("CompuDyne") is a Pennsylvania corporation having its principal office and place of business at 1965 Pioneer Road, Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania.
2. Acme Missiles and Construction Corporation ("Acme") is a Delaware corporation, having its principal office and place of business at 43 North Village Avenue, Rockville Center, New York.
3. C. W. Regan, Inc., also known as Regan Construction Co., Inc. ("Regan") is a New York corporation having its principal office and place of business at 327 Hewes Street, Brooklyn, New York.
4. On July 18, 1963, a written Stipulation was entered into by CompuDyne, Regan and Acme and approved by this Court. Notice is taken of the fact that a copy thereof was made a part of the records of this Court at that time.
5. Paragraph 9 of said Stipulation provides: