Appeal, No. 170, Jan. T., 1962, from judgment of Court of Common Pleas of Montgomery County, Sept. T., 1959, No. 468, in case of Irwin Weidemoyer v. Donald Swartz and A. W. Frederick. Judgment reversed.
Jules Pearlstine, with him Pearlstine, Salkin & Hardiman, for appellant.
Charles A. Kerlavage, with him Harold W. Spencer, and Wright, Mauck & Spencer, for appellees.
Before Bell, C.j., Musmanno, Jones, Cohen, Eagen and O'brien, JJ.
OPINION BY MR. JUSTICE O'BRIEN
These appeals are from the judgments of compulsory non-suit entered against appellant Irwin Weidemoyer in his trespass action for injuries sustained when struck by a truck owned by A. W. Frederick and operated by Donald Swartz, the appellees.
The evidence adduced by appellant in its most favorable aspect, and giving him the benefit of every proper inference reasonably deducible therefrom, McKniff v. Wilson, 404 Pa. 647, 172 A.2d 801 (1961); Weisman v. Sauder Chevrolet Co., 402 Pa. 272, 167 A.2d 308 (1961), is essentially the following:
Appellant Irvin Weidemoyer and a co-worker, Norton Nonnemaker, both employees of the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company, arrived in the Borough of Souderton, Montgomery County, on November 28, 1958, about 10:30 A.M. The mission was for the purpose of
connecting Christmas decorations, strung overhead and across Main Street, with electrical current for illumination. Nonnemaker, driving the company truck, parked it on Main Street at the east curb of the street, which had a north-south course, with the truck heading in a northerly direction. The back of the truck was immediately north of a pedestrian walk crossing Main Street in an east-west direction and to Hillside Street which terminated on the westerly side of Main Street. At this place, Main Street is a two way street approximately 33 feet between curbs, and maintains a straight course for several hundred feet north and south from this point.
The Pennsylvania Power and Light Company truck was the type used by electrical maintenance and repair crews of electric utility companies in servicing their facilities. The truck was painted red with black and white diagonal lines on the back and blinker lights, in operation at time of accident, in addition to the usual rear lights and directional signals required to be on the rear of this type of vehicle. It was equipped with two ladders, one on top, the other on the left side of the vehicle. The ladder on the side, in this case the street side, extended along the side and two feet beyond the rear of the truck. It was held in place by clamps and required two men to take it off the truck because of the angle at which it was carried on the vehicle, and it was about 7 feet from the ground near the front of the truck and 6 feet high at the rear. The clamps or catches had to be released by hand to take the ladder off the truck.
Weidemoyer got out of the truck on the sidewalk side and walked back to the rear of the truck. He then went to the street side of the truck, after looking both ways and seeing no vehicles, and began to unfasten the ladder clamps. He testified: ...