Searching over 5,500,000 cases.


searching
Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

GEARHART v. SUMMIT FAST FREIGHT (09/27/50)

September 27, 1950

GEARHART
v.
SUMMIT FAST FREIGHT, INC.



COUNSEL

H. Y. Crossland and Evans, Ivory & Evans, all of Pittsburgh, for appellant.

John T. Conner and Dalzell, McFall, Pringle & Bredin, all of Pittsburgh, for appellee.

Before Rhodes, P. J., and Hirt, Reno, Dithrich, Ross and Arnold, JJ.

Author: Ross

[ 167 Pa. Super. Page 482]

ROSS, Judge.

In this workmen's compensation case, the only question before us is whether at the time he suffered a fatal injury the claimant's husband, Norman D. Gearhart, was an independent contractor or was an employe of the defendant. The referee dismissed the claim petition on the ground that the claimant's deceased husband was an independent contractor. The referee was affirmed by the board, exceptions thereto dismissed by the court below, and judgment entered for the defendant. Thereupon the claimant took this appeal.

Gearhart was killed on December 4, 1946, when his truck, in which he was transporting steel for the defendant from Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, to Chicago, Illinois, was involved in a collision with another vehicle near Bryan, Ohio. The defendant is engaged as a common carrier in the business of hauling freight from Pennsylvania to various points in other states. At the time of his fatal injury, Gearhart was transporting the steel pursuant to a written contract entered into on

[ 167 Pa. Super. Page 483]

September 24, 1946 between him and the defendant, and the relationship of the parties arises from this contract.

To be entitled to compensation the claimant had the burden of proving that at the time of his injury her husband was an employe of the defendant. Sechrist v. Jurtz Bros., 147 Pa. Super. 214, 24 A.2d 128. As stated by President Judge Rhodes in Sones v. Thompson Furniture Co., 163 Pa. Super. 392, 394, 62 A.2d 116, 117: 'The relation of employer and employee, as contemplated by the Workmen's Compensation Act * * * [77 P.S. ยง 1 et seq.], arises only where there is a contract of hiring, express or implied * * * and the burden of proving that deceased was an employee * * * was upon claimant.' We agree with the conclusion of the compensation authorities and the court below that the claimant in this case failed to meet the burden imposed upon her.

By the terms of the contract, Gearhart was to transport freight for defendant common carrier in his privately-owned truck, choosing his way from routes approved in interstate commerce permits issued to the defendant. He collected freight charges from consignees, retaining 75 per cent. as his compensation and remitting the remaining 25 per cent. to defendant. All gas, oil, truck repairs and license plate and registration fees were paid by him and he was responsible for possible traffic fines. The hiring of additional help was a matter of personal discretion with him, the contract providing that he might have his truck operated 'by himself or by competent employes', and he agreed to pay wages, and charges incident to coverage of workmen's compensation, unemployment compensation and other social security benefits for assistants hired, and such other charges as were involved in his work.

Where a contract is let for work to be done by another in which the contractee reserves no control over the means of its ...


Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.